This is a delicious way to increase your veggie intake.
- 2/3 cup extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion 150 g, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups bottle tomato passata
- 1/4 TSP dried chilli flakes
- 2 medium eggplants (600 g), sliced thickly
- 1/4 Cup 35 g plain flour
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 100 g bocconcini sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (50 g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Extra, small basil leaves to serve.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350 °F
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for two minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic: and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, passata and chilli; season to taste—transfer mixture to a medium jug.
- Toss eggplant in flour to coat; shake off excess.
- Heat remaining oil in the same clean pan; cook eggplant, in batches, until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
- Layer half the eggplant in a 26 cm round, 5 cm deep ovenproof dish; season. Top with half the tomato mixture, basil leaves and bocconcini (or mozzarella), and repeat layering, finishing with parmesan; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for a further 15 minutes or until browned and tender. Serve topped with extra basil.
Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.